Follow me on Pintrest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Friday, March 4, 2016

Bubbly Brussels with Blue & Brie - American - Sides 2

Bubbly Brussels with Blue and Brie

This is just a simple side dish that can really hit the spot when you’re craving something rich and cheesy, or just some alliteration (you’re welcome Mom). The fact it’s primarily Brussels sprouts is why you don’t have to feel terrible about eating it. A coworker recently overshopped the cheese counter for a special event she was doing, and knowing my cheese problem, generously gave me a hunk of Stilton and a double crème Brie that she didn’t end up needing. Short of simply chowing down on the blocks, cheese in one hand wine in the other, I was trying to think of a creative way to use the two. One night, while Mark was stuck at a work function and I was thus left to my own devices for dinner, I figured it was time to put them to use. Partially intended as a way to prevent me from ordering a pizza delivered, and therefore hating myself for another week, and partially because I really like them, I picked up a bag of Brussels sprouts on the way home from work. I figured, sprouts are strongly flavored and delicious when roasted. They would stand up well to the tangy blue cheese, and I would be able to melt the brie to a drool worthy, pour all over yourself and lick off, consistency in the oven. Sorry for the carnal imagery, I just really like cheese. Having sufficiently deluded myself into thinking this vegetable studded cheese melt was somehow on my imaginary diet, I launched in what would be an easy prep. I decided to keep it simple and season with just white pepper, a pinch of salt and finish with fresh ground pepper. I baked it in a pair of extra cute white corning ware casseroles, but it would have been equally as rustic-chic and aesthetically appealing in a pair of mini cast iron pans that I have, so I clearly agonized over the choice. Despite being torn about presentation, early on there was no doubt I would end up eating both casseroles, my best laid plans of portion control were out the window with the first whiff of the baking brie. Cheese chastity just isn’t my thing. I didn’t serve this with any protein, as I was just cooking for myself, but in the end I now have an easy go-to side dish whenever my main requires something sinfully rich and unctuous on the side. Enjoy!

Ingredients:
  • 1 bag Brussels sprouts (1lb) – washed, trimmed and halved
  • 3 oz Royal Blue Stilton - small pieces
  • 3 oz Reny Picot Double Crème Brie -  small pieces
  • 1 tablespoon evoo
  • 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
  • Salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste

Preparation:

Pre-heat oven to 450F. Toss the Brussels sprouts in evoo. Place half in the chicest little baking vessels you own. Layer in half of your cheeses. Place remaining sprouts in the pans. Top with remaining cheese, finish with salt and black pepper. Bake for 25 minutes or until sprouts are tender and the cheeses are 

No comments:

Post a Comment