Follow me on Pintrest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Biscotti Binge - Gluten Free Biscotti Recipe




So, in 2015 my mother started making biscotti at home. In recent years, free from her days of preparing meals for her hungry brood, her culinary endeavors have become more and more creative and delicious (a far cry from the days of shake & bake, and steamed broccoli, but I mean she was raising 5 hellions, what else do you want?!?!).  As a hungry epicurean I am often initial critic and ultimately beneficiary of her experimentations and efforts. Among the  successes like toasted granola that I can’t get enough of, fruit jams and pickles that fill my refrigerator, it is her biscotti that is, by far, the standout. Her flavor combinations are unique, interesting and most importantly delicious.

Sweet Varieties
Her philosophy behind the flavors she chooses is that ‘good things come in threes’. Now I know that idea is a little cliché, but honestly I think it’s a good mantra for showing restraint and being highly intentional in her selections. Just last year she expander her offering to include both Gluten Free and Vegan varieties, her empty nest allowing her the time to devote to perfecting ratios and choosing the most reliable ingredients. She was so successful that I was able broker her first commercial sale to a local coffee shop here in Baltimore, for which she produced over 100 individual portions across the spectrum of flavors and dietary needs. Through this transaction I came into possession of a few dozen of my favorite varieties, which I clearly went through in a matter of days, it was the beginning of an addiction.


Savory Biscotti - Parmigiano, Herbs & Garlic
It’s been a few months now since my last shipment, and the demands of life have made visits home challenging but I have found myself craving her biscotti more and more frequently.  With no alternative biscotti craving solution on the horizon, and despite my distaste for and general lack of baking talent, I decided to attempt to recreate her biscotti myself.

I decided I would create both sweet and savory varieties, and gluten free of course (here’s looking at you MDW). The sweet would clearly contain chocolate and would be perfect for ice cream of coffee related consumption. The savory would be feature the like of garlic, herbs, and cheese, and would be a perfect complement to charcuterie or antipasti.


The process was rather simple, but lengthy. Biscotti must be shaped, brushed, baked, cooled, sliced, and bakes again. What on paper looked like an easy hour or so, easily took up my entire evening – and I only got through my sweet creations on my first attempt! In just two days I devoted over 6 hours to the baking process (I won’t admit how long it took me to eat them all for fear of reproach), but in the end this biscotti binge was totally worth it, and not likely to truly end any time soon. They are just so simple, methodically satisfying to prepare and there are myriad different concepts and combinations to try.

If you couldn’t tell already, I can’t seem to get enough of these buttery slices of biscuit heaven. In fact, I think these biscotti are one of the best gluten free baked goods I have ever had. Perhaps it’s the natural density of biscotti, the twice-baked method that helps the GF flour perform like its gluten-full relatives, or the care that has gone into crafting this particular recipe (I tend to think the latter) but you’d really never know they’re Gluten Free. The beauty of this recipe is that if you stick to the rule of 3, you really can’t go wrong. Simply replicate the basic dough, be thoughtful about your add-ins, follow instructions and you’re bound for success.

Enjoy!

“Good Things” Biscotti – Recipe Courtesy of Dolores Guerin

 

Ingredients

  • 4 tablespoons butter, room temperature
  • 1 cup Sugar
  • 3 eggs + 1 for brushing
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla
  • 3 cups Bob’s Red Mill 1:1 Gluten Free Flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1-2 cups mix-ins (chocolate chips, dried fruit, nuts, etc – but remember, ONLY 3)
  • For this preparation these are my combinations:
    • Dark Chocolate, Chopped Hazelnuts, Unsweetened Coconut Flakes
    • Dark Chocolate, Cardamom, Dried Sour Cherries
    • Parmigiano, Italian herb (Rosemary, Basil, Oregano), garlic

 

Preparation:

 

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside


In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and sugar on medium

speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes (Note: you can use  a hand mixed as I did , but that means you need to use a very low speed and add the eggs earlier as the butter will clump). Add 3 eggs, one at a time, beating to incorporate after each addition and scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Beat in vanilla. Add flour mixture, and mix on low speed until combined. Mix in mix-ins.


Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Snape each piece into a log across the

width of the pan. With the palm of your hand, flatten logs slightly. Transfer to parchment paper baking sheet. Beat remaining egg well, and Brush over surface of the dough logs.


Bake, rotating the sheet halfway through, until logs are slightly firm to touch and turning golden brown, about 25 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly, about 20 minutes.


Reduce oven temperature to 300 degrees F.


Place logs on a cutting board. Using a serrated knife, cut logs crosswise on the diagonal into 1/2-3/4

inch-thick slices depending on your preference.  Arrange slices back on parchment paper, cut side down. Bake for 30



2 comments:

  1. Eating gluten free baked goods is not as difficult as it sounds, well prepared gluten free foods can be very tasty as or even tastier then the regular products. Also there are many gluten free cookbooks available in the market are the fabulous ones and makes life easy for the people who have to have gluten free diet. Also now a day the online markets have made things very easy as all the products which were otherwise difficult to find are readily available in the online market.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gluten free biscotti are not only a sweet and tasty treat, but are also healthy because of the ingredients used. It’s just a matter of time before the limited selection of food items will be no more because there are increased number of food companies, chefs and bakers producing gluten free biscotti and other such products for the purchase of the people.

    ReplyDelete